Manufacturers of consumer products have to be liberal with the warning labels
these days, lest they get sued. But for these, it's hard to know whether
the company is being outright stupid or if they're simply targeting the
most brain dead dumb among us.
- "Do not use if you cannot see clearly to read the information in the
information booklet." -- In the information booklet.
- "Caution: The contents of this bottle should not be fed to fish."
-- On a bottle of shampoo for dogs.
- "For external use only!" -- On a curling iron.
- "Warning: This product can burn eyes." -- On a curling iron.
- "Do not use in shower." -- On a hair dryer.
- "Do not use while sleeping." -- On a hair dryer.
- "Do not use while sleeping or unconscious." -- On a hand-held
- "Do not place this product into any electronic equipment."
-- On the case of a chocolate CD in a gift basket.
- "Recycled flush water unsafe for drinking." -- On a toilet at a
public sports facility in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- "Shin pads cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover."
-- On a pair of shin guards made for bicyclists.
- "This product not intended for use as a dental drill." -- On
an electric rotary tool.
- "Caution: Do not spray in eyes." -- On a container of underarm
- "Do not drive with sunshield in place." -- On a cardboard sunshield
that keeps the sun off the dashboard.
- "Caution: This is not a safety protective device." -- On a plastic
toy helmet used as a container for popcorn.
- "Do not use near fire, flame, or sparks." -- On an "Aim-n-Flame"
- "Battery may explore or leak." -- On a battery. See a
- "Do not eat toner." -- On a toner cartridge for a laser
- "Not intended for highway use." -- On a 13-inch wheel on a
- "This product is not to be used in bathrooms." -- On a Holmes
- "May irritate eyes." -- On a can of self-defense pepper spray.
- "Eating rocks may lead to broken teeth." -- On a novelty rock garden
set called "Popcorn Rock."
- "Caution! Contents hot!" -- On a Domino's Pizza box.
- "Caution: Hot beverages are hot!" -- On a coffee cup.
- "Caution: Shoots rubber bands." -- On a product called "Rubber Band
- "Warning: May contain small parts." -- On a frisbee.
- "Do not use orally." -- On a toilet bowl cleaning brush.
- "Please keep out of children." -- On a butcher knife.
- "Not suitable for children aged 36 months or less." -- On a birthday
card for a 1 year old.
- "Do not recharge, put in backwards, or use." -- On a battery.
- "Warning: Do not use on eyes." -- In the manual for a heated seat
- "Do not look into laser with remaining eye." -- On a laser
- "Do not use for drying pets." -- In the manual for a microwave
- "For use on animals only." -- On an electric cattle prod.
- "For use by trained personnel only." -- On a can of air
- "Keep out of reach of children and teenagers." -- On a can of air
- "Remember, objects in the mirror are actually behind you."
-- On a motorcycle helmet-mounted rear-view mirror.
- "Warning: Riders of personal watercraft may suffer injury due to
the forceful injection of water into body cavities either by
falling into the water or while mounting the craft."
-- In the manual for a jetski.
- "Warning: Do not climb inside this bag and zip it up. Doing so
will cause injury and death." -- A label inside a protective
bag (for fragile objects), which measures 15cm by 15cm by 12cm.
- "Do not use as ear plugs." -- On a package of silly putty.
- "Please store in the cold section of the refrigerator." -- On a bag
of fresh grapes in Australia.
- "Warning: knives are sharp!" -- On the packaging of a sharpening
- "Not for weight control." -- On a pack of Breath Savers.
- "Twist top off with hands. Throw top away. Do not put top in mouth."
-- On the label of a bottled drink.
- "Theft of this container is a crime." -- On a milk crate.
- "Do not use intimately." -- On a tube of deodorant.
- "Warning: has been found to cause cancer in laboratory mice." -- On
a box of rat poison.
- "Fragile. Do not drop." -- Posted on a Boeing 757.
- "Cannot be made non-poisonous." -- On the back of a can of
de-icing windshield fluid.
- "Caution: Remove infant before folding for storage." -- On a
- "Excessive dust may be irritating to shin and eyes." --
On a tube of agarose powder, used to make gels.
- "Look before driving." -- On the dash board of a mail truck.
- "Do not iron clothes on body." -- On packaging for a Rowenta
- "Do not drive car or operate machinery." -- On Boot's children's
- "For indoor or outdoor use only." -- On a string of Christmas
- "Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly." -- On a child
sized Superman costume.
- "This door is alarmed from 7:00pm - 7:00am." -- On a hospital's
outside access door.
- "Beware! To touch these wires is instant death. Anyone found doing so
will be prosecuted." -- On a sign at a railroad station.
- "Warning: do not use if you have prostate problems."
-- On a box of Midol PMS relief tablets.
- "Product will be hot after heating." -- On a supermarket dessert
- "Do not turn upside down." -- On the bottom of a supermarket dessert
- "Do not light in face. Do not expose to flame."
-- On a lighter.
- "Choking hazard: This toy is a small ball."
-- On the label for a cheap rubber ball toy.
- "Not for human consumption." -- On a package of dice.
- "May be harmful if swallowed." -- On a shipment of hammers.
- "Using Ingenio cookware to destroy your old pots may void your warranty."
-- A printed message that appears in a television advertisement
when the presenter demonstrates how strong the cookware is by using it
to beat up and destroy a regular frying pan.
- "Do not attempt to stop the blade with your hand."
-- In the manual for a Swedish chainsaw.
- "Do not dangle the mouse by its cable or throw the mouse at co-workers."
-- From a manual for an SGI computer.
- "Warning: May contain nuts." -- On a package of peanuts.
- "Do not eat." -- On a slip of paper in a stereo box, referring to the
- "Do not eat if seal is missing." -- On said seal.
- "Remove occupants from the stroller before folding it."
- "Access hole only -- not intended for use in lifting box."
-- On the sides of a shipping carton, just above cut-out openings
which one would assume were handholds.
- "Warning: May cause drowsiness." -- On a bottle of Nytol, a brand of
- "Warning: Misuse may cause injury or death."
-- Stamped on the metal barrel of a .22 calibre rifle.
- "Do not use orally after using rectally." -- In the instructions
for an electric thermometer.
- "Turn off motor before using this product." -- On the packaging for a
chain saw file, used to sharpen the cutting teeth on the chain.
- "Not to be used as a personal flotation device." -- On a 6x10 inch
inflatable picture frame.
- "Do not put in mouth." -- On a box of bottle rockets.
- "Remove plastic before eating." -- On the wrapper of a Fruit Roll-Up
- "Not dishwasher safe." -- On a remote control for a TV.
- "For lifting purposes only." -- On the box for a car jack.
- "Do not put lit candles on phone." -- On the instructions for a
- "Warning! This is not underwear! Do not attempt to put in pants."
-- On the packaging for a wristwatch.
- "Do not wear for sumo wrestling." -- From a set of washing
instructions. See a
- "Safe for use around pets." -- On a box of Arm & Hammer Cat
Small Print From Commercials:
- "Do not use house paint on face." -- In a Visa commercial that
depicts an expecting couple looking for paint at a hardware
- "Do not drive cars in ocean." -- In a car commercial which
shows a car in the ocean.
- "Always drive on roads. Not on people." -- From a car commercial
which shows a vehicle "body-surfing" at a concert.
- "For a limited time only." -- From a Rally's commercial that
described how their burgers were fresh.
Signs and Notices:
- "No stopping or standing." -- A sign at bus stops everywhere.
- "Do not sit under coconut trees." -- A sign on a coconut palm in
a West Palm Beach park circa 1950.
- "These rows reserved for parents with children." -- A sign in a
- "All cups leaving this store, rather full or empty, must be paid for."
-- A sign in a Cumberland Farms in Hillsboro, New Hampshire.
- "Malfunction: Too less water." -- A notice left on a coffee
- "Prescriptions cannot be filled by phone." -- On a form in a
- "You could be a winner! No purchase necessary. Details inside."
-- On a bag of Fritos.
- "Fits one head." -- On a hotel-provided shower cap box.
- "Payment is due by the due date." -- On a credit card
- "No small children." -- On a laundromat triple washer.
- "Warning: Ramp Ends In Stairs." -- A sign, correctly describing
the end of a concrete ramp intended for handicap access to a
- "Take care: new non-slip surface." -- On a sign in front of a
newly renovated ramp that led to the entrance of a building.
- "In case of flood, proceed uphill. In case of flash flood, proceed uphill
quickly." -- One of the emergency safety procedures at a summer
- "Ingredients: Artificially bleached flour, sugar, vegetable fat, yeast,
salt, gluten, soya flour, emulsifier 472 (E) & 481, flour
treatment agents, enzymes, water. May contain: fruit." -- The
ingredients list on a package of fruit buns.
- "100% pure yarn." -- On a sweater.
- "Some materials may irritate sensitive skin. Please look at the
materials if you believe this may be the case.
Covering: 100% Unknown.
Stuffing: 100% Unknown."
-- On a pillow.
- "Cleans and refreshes without soap or water. Contains: Water,
fragrance & soap." -- On the packet for a moist towelette. See
a scanned image.
- "Remove the plastic wrapper." -- The first instruction on a bag of
microwave popcorn; to see the instructions, one first has to remove
the plastic wrapper and unfold the pouch.
- "Take one capsule by mouth three times daily until gone." -- On a
box of pills.
- "Open packet. Eat contents." -- Instructions on a packet of airline
- "Remove wrapper, open mouth, insert muffin, eat." -- Instructions on
the packaging for a muffin at a 7-11.
- "Use like regular soap." -- On a bar of Dial soap.
- "Instructions: usage known." -- Instructions on a can of black
- "Serving suggestion: Defrost." -- On a Swann frozen dinner.
- "Simply pour the biscuits into a bowl and allow the cat to eat when it
wants." -- On a bag of cat biscuits.
- "In order to get out of car, open door, get out, lock doors, and
then close doors." -- In a car manual.
- "Please include the proper portion of your bill."
-- On the envelope for an
- "The appliance is switched on by setting the on/off switch to the
'on' position." -- Instructions for an espresso kettle.
- "For heat-retaining corrugated cardboard technology to function properly,
close lid." -- On a Domino's sandwich box.
- "Optional modem required." -- On a computer software package.
Back to the
Things People Said main page.