Murray Walker Quotes
After active service in World War II and a successful career in advertising,
Murray Walker became a sports commentator in 1949. Over the next 52 years,
he made a name for himself with his commentating on motor racing, particularly
Formula 1. His catch-phrase, "Unless I'm very much mistaken -- and I AM very
much mistaken!" was the leader of a pack of quotable lines from Walker's
commentating. Many of them were verbal blunders of some kind; he specialized,
it seemed, in putting one person in two different places at the same time.
- "Unless I'm very much mistaken -- I AM very much mistaken!"
- "Look up there! That's the sky!"
- "Jenson Button is in the top ten, in eleventh position."
- "And this is the third place car about to lap the second place car."
- "This is an interesting circuit, because it has inclines. And not just up,
but down as well."
- "And there's the man in the green flag!"
- "That's the first time he had started from the front row in a Grand Prix,
having done so in Canada earlier this year."
- "And he's lost both right front tires."
- "Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin. Unless this
is the action, which it is."
- "And there's no damage to the car. Except to the car itself."
- "Mansell can see him in his earphone."
- "Anything happens in Grand Prix racing, and it usually does."
- "Alboreto has dropped back up to fifth place."
- "As you look at the first four, the significant thing is that
Alboreto is fifth."
- "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough?"
- "I can't imagine what kind of problem Senna has. I imagine it must be
some sort of grip problem."
- "I know it's an old cliche, but you can cut the atmosphere with a
- "Alesi is in second place, and Hill is in second place."
- "The lead is now 6.9 seconds. In fact, it's just under 7 seconds."
- "Tambay's hopes, which were nil before, are absolutely zero now."
- "This has been a great season for Nelson Piquet, as he is now known,
and always has been."
- "And the first five places are filled by five different cars."
- "As you can see, visually, with your eyes."
- "And Damon Hill is following Damon Hill."
- "Michael Schumacher is leading Michael Schumacher."
- "Jacques Lafitte is as close to Surer as Surer is to Lafitte."
- "Jean Alesi is 4th and 5th."
- "Villeneuve is now twelve seconds ahead of Villeneuve."
- "Frentzen is taking, er, reducing that gap between himself and
- "Ferrari leads, McLaren second, McLaren second, Jordan third, and
Benneton fifth and sixth."
- "Schumacher has made his final stop three times."
- "Mansell is slowing it down, taking it easy. Oh, no he isn't! It's a
- "And he's done that in a whisker under 10 seconds, call it 9.7 in round
- "Nigel Mansell is the last person in the race apart from the five in
front of him."
- "And here comes Mika Hakkinen, double world champion twice over."
- "It's lap 26 of 58, which unless I'm very much mistaken is half way."
- "Let's stop the startwatch."
- "That's history. I say history because it happened in the past."
- "And the first three cars are all Escorts, which isn't surprising as
this is an all Escort race."
- "I didn't see the time, largely because there wasn't one."
- "Rally points scoring is twenty for the fastest, eighteen for the second
fastest, right down to six points for the slowest fastest."
- "I was there when I said it."
- "Stewart has two cars in the top five: Magnusson 5th and Barichello
- "The European drivers have adapted to this circuit extremely quickly,
especially Paul Radisich who's a New Zealander."
- "Of course he did it voluntarily, but he had to do it."
- "The tires are called wets, because they're used in the wet. And these
tires are called slicks, because they're very slick."
- "You might not think that's cricket, and it's not. It's motor racing."
Back to the
Things People Said main page.