John Madden Quotes
John Madden, one of the most prominent figures in American football, coached
the Oakland Raiders and later became a memorable color commentator for NFL
telecasts. In 2006, he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
But what interests us here is his uncanny knack for stating the obvious.
- "Hey, the offensive linemen are the biggest guys on the field, they're
bigger than everybody else, and that's what makes them the biggest guys
on the field."
- "If the quarterback throws the ball in the endzone and the wide receiver
catches it, it's a touchdown."
- "In order for this team to win the game, the quarterback has to throw
- "He would have scored a touchdown if he hadn't been tackled right there."
- "Here's a guy who can use his arms and legs at the same time."
- "To get more yards, it's best to move the ball from the line of
scrimmage down the field."
- "Usually the team with the most points wins the game!"
- "Whenever you talk about a Mike Shanahan offence, you're always going
to be talking about his offence."
- "Here's a guy who when he runs, he moves faster."
- "Boom, boom, foom, poom! He just ran right at 'em!"
- "When you have great players, playing great, well that's great football!"
- "Real frontier-busting math explores new worlds . . . . If you can
communicate that experience, somewhere between math and uncertainty,
life experience provides the balance."
- "If you lose your best cornerback and punter, I'd say that's a double
- "When your arm gets hit, the ball is not going to go where you want it to."
- "Well, when you're playing good football, it's good football and if you
don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football."
- "The defense should be expecting a run or a pass here."
- "They'll score if they can just get into the endzone."
- "You can't win a game if you don't score any points."
- "I always used to tell my players that we are here to win! And you know
what, Al? When you don't win, you lose."
- "See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the
ball is bigger than his hands."
- "He might want to watch where he lands when tackling that guy, because he
could really hurt his hand if it gets stepped on."
- "Playing in this nice weather really makes me remember all the times I
got stung by a bee."
- "The best feeling is watching a real football game, because the games
they show in the movies aren't real."
- "There definitely needs to be water on the sidelines for these players,
but I also had some Gatorade just in case they were allergic to the water
or vice versa."
Back to the
Things People Said main page.